Have you or a loved one recently been faced with vestibular issues such as vertigo, dizziness, or general disorientation? At any age, balance issues such as these can have a deteriorating effect on your quality of life. At Advance Physical Therapy, our team can help treat these balance related issues. We’ll teach patients dealing with balance disorders a variety of exercises that can better their condition and treat their symptoms. For more information about these exercises, please get in touch with our staff by visiting our appointment page. Please see below for some recommended balance disorder exercise that can easily be performed from home:
- Lie a piece of string on the floor in a straight line.
- Without drifting off to one side, walk across the line.
- To help keep your balance and stay in a straight line, hold your arms out wide.
- Walk at least 15 steps every time you perform this exercise.
- Start in a standing position.
- Balancing on one leg, slowly lift the opposite foot off the ground.
- Once you’re completely balanced on one leg (use a chair or the wall for support if needed), lift the opposite knee to your chest.
- Hold this pose for 15 seconds before returning to the starting position.
- Perform at least three sets of this exercise on each side.
Bean Bag Balance
- Place a bean bag or item with a similar consistency on either your head or shoulder.
- Begin to walk in a straight line, focusing on your posture and balance to keep the bean bag in place.
- Once you’ve mastered walking in a straight line, try moving backward, side to side, or in a zigzag motion.
Single-Leg Cross Body Punches
- While balancing your weight on one foot, come to a quarter squat position.
- Make a fist with both hands, and begin to punch across your body.
- Once you have thrown 20 punches, repeat the exercise while balancing on the other leg.
- Perform three sets on each leg.
- For added difficulty, hold a pair of dumbbells in your hands while performing this exercise.
Advance Physical Therapy
At Advance Physical Therapy, we do not want patients to have to live with the stresses that are caused by balance disorders. If you or a loved one has been dealing with these complications, your condition can be vastly improved by performing certain exercises. For more information or to make an appointment, be sure to contact our team today! Our state-of-the-art balance treatment centers located in Astoria, Buffalo, Lindenhurst, Valley Stream, & Wantagh are ready to serve you!