Physical Therapy in Astoria, NY
The hot summer months are a perfect time for fun in the sun! Be it swimming, biking, hiking, or just taking a walk, get some time outdoors! Enjoy the nice weather, but be sure to take care of yourself while doing so. The bright sun and humid air introduce added risk factors to your daily workouts and sports. Even the most avid fitness fans can become overwhelmed by the increased temperature. Everyday sports injuries also become more prevalent in the summer months, when people tend to be the most active. Advance Physical Therapy is here to help treat and prevent injury with our physical therapy in Nassau County.
- Timing: As nice as the sun may feel, it is best to time your workout around the hottest times of the day. Between noon and 3 PM, the temperature tends to be the highest. If at all possible, it is best to avoid outdoor exercise during these times.
- Stay hydrated: Always stay hydrated! Drink water before, during, and after physical activity. You might not feel thirsty, but chances are you’re sweating more than you realize. It’s imperative to make sure your body has plenty of water.
- Know your limits: Pushing yourself is good, hurting yourself is not. If you’re feeling dizzy or lightheaded, don’t push yourself too hard. Take plenty of breaks and find some shade to get out of the sun. With our physical therapy in Nassau County, we can help you determine what these limits are.
- Dress for the weather: Protect your body from the sun with moisture-wicking fabric and plenty of sunscreen.
- Use the buddy system: Working out with a friend is not only more fun but it also provides added safety. By having a friend with you, if something goes wrong, you can get the help you need.
There are a number of dangerous, heat-induced conditions. The worst of these conditions is heat stroke. When enjoying the summer, be sure to watch out for these symptoms:
- Muscle cramps
- Nausea or vomiting
- Excessive sweating
- Low blood pressure
- Increased heart rate
- Visual problems
If you’re looking for some safe exercises, or if you are held back by an injury, our physical therapy in Nassau County may be right for you. Contact Advance Physical Therapy today for all your physical therapy needs to have a healthy and safe summer!