Lower back pain is a painful condition that affects the lower part of the spine due to an injury to the muscle (strain) or the ligament (sprain). While there are medication-based treatments for lower back pain, it is important to consider lower back pain exercises as a substitute. If you’re seeking low back pain physical therapy in Lindenhurst, our team at Advance Physical Therapy can create a custom exercise plan!
What causes lower back pain?
There is a long list of different injuries and diseases that can lead to lower back pain. The list includes:
- Strains and Sprains: This is the most common cause and is typically due to an injured muscle, tendon, or ligament due to not lifting safely.
- Arthritis: While various forms of arthritis can occur in the lower back, they all result in one symptom, pain.
- Disk Problems: If a disk bulges from its usual position in the spine, it can press on a nerve causing pain. These disks can also tear, resulting in a herniated disk.
- Diseases: Various diseases, like spine tumors, infections, and cancer, can lead to severe back pain. Kidney stones can also lead to back pain.
No matter what is causing your lower back pain, lower back pain exercises guided by a physical therapist can help! If you require low back pain physical therapy in Lindenhurst, our team can help mitigate your pain!
Exercises to Relieve Lower Back Pain
Each patient who seeks exercises for lower back pain may be given a different treatment plan, but these are the most common exercises:
- Walking: This is one of the safest ways to relieve lower back pain. By walking at a steady pace for 15 minutes twice a day, the symptoms can be greatly improved.
- Pelvic Tilts: These are designed to build your pelvis. It engages the core muscles along the spine and relieves inflammation around the area.
- Partial Crunches: This exercise is half sit-ups. It engages your abdominal and lower back muscles to strengthen them and provide support.
While these exercises may seem simple enough, it is important to consult a professional before starting any of these exercises. We offer low back pain physical therapy in Lindenhurst and can guide you through all these exercises!
How to prevent lower back pain?
If your lower back pain is a result of a disease or structural issue with your spine, it is not possible to prevent it. However, you do have the ability to prevent it from being caused due to an injury.
You can achieve this by doing the following:
- Stay within a Healthy Weight Range: Excessive weight, and obesity put pressure on the spine and discs, which can lead to pain and even severe injury.
- Ensure your Abdominal Muscles are Strong: Your abdominal muscles support the spine; strengthening these muscles takes some of the pressure off of the spine.
- Lift with Proper Form: It is important to remember to lift with your legs rather than your back. If something is heavy, hold it close to you or get assistance from someone else.
Everyone is likely to experience lower back pain. While you may believe that you have to live with it, these exercises can be life-changing when under a professional’s guidance. If you’re seeking low back pain physical therapy in Lindenhurst, schedule your appointment with us at Advance Physical Therapy to begin on your road to being pain-free!