If you or someone you know has suffered a mountain biking injury and requires physical therapy in Astoria, NY, get in touch with Advance Physical Therapy today for more information! Mountain biking, while thrilling, can also be a highly dangerous extreme sport, so safety should always be a top priority.
Staying Safe on the Mountain Biking Trail
Mountain biking is an excellent exercise, but if riders don’t have the knowledge or the proper gear, it can be dangerous and lead to a multitude of injuries. While avoiding injury is not always possible, riders need to know that there are precautionary measures they can take to prevent themselves from suffering an injury while riding. If you were to sustain an injury from mountain biking, whether minor or traumatic, Advance Physical Therapy is here to provide quality care and assistance. We offer physical therapy treatment in Astoria, NY, as well as four other locations throughout New York, and we are happy to help you start feeling better!
Simple Safety Tips For Mountain Bikers
- Always wear a helmet when riding – A helmet is the most important piece of safety gear to have when mountain biking. It would protect you from not only hurting your head if you were to fall but also protect you from any debris that might fall on your trail.
- Ride within your skill level – Do not attempt to try a more rigorous and rugged biking course than you can handle. It can be very dangerous to go down a trail that is more difficult than you are prepared to encounter.
- If you are planning on taking a difficult biking a path it would be a good idea to wear more protective gear such as elbow or knee guards to prevent any injuries in the event of a crash.
- Learn the trail – It is important before embarking on your ride that you have taken some time to familiarize yourself with the course. Knowing what to expect when riding will help prevent injury.
- You will crash eventually – Almost all mountain bikers crash while riding, so it is important to prepare yourself for that to happen. Wearing proper safety gear and being precautious will help mitigate injury.
Common Injuries Among Mountain Bikers
For mountain bikers, It is important to be aware of the various injuries that can occur while on the trail. If you have any questions about how we can help, don’t hesitate to contact Advance Physical Therapy in Astoria, NY. Common mountain biking injuries typically include the following:
- Abrasions to the skin – Cuts and bruises are common issues for mountain bikers.
- AC Joint sprain – This is an injury to the shoulder and typically happens after a rider experiences a fall.
- Knee and lower back pain is a frequent complaint from riders due to the constant irritation that riding a bike causes to these areas.
- Broken collar bone – This is another injury commonly seen when riders experience a fall from the front of the bike over the handlebars.
Physical Therapy in Astoria, NY Can Help You!
If you are a mountain biker or have an interest in becoming a mountain biker, it is important to understand the potential consequences if you participate in this activity. While mountain biking is a great way to get cardio in and also be out in nature, it can be dangerous and lead to injury. If you experience an injury on the trail, you will need physical therapy to help treat your current injury and then prevent future injury. That is where our team at Advance Physical Therapy in Astoria, NY can assist.
We offer an array of treatments and are committed to helping our patients get back to doing what they enjoy. We can also provide physical therapy as a preventative measure of injury. Regular stretching and weight training can help strengthen areas that may be weak points for potential injuries. Schedule an appointment with us today and see how we can help you!