Need An Appointment For Physical Therapy Erie County NY? Advance Physical Therapy has a location right in your area:
2633 Main Steet
Buffalo, NY 14214
About Physical Therapy Erie County NY
At Advance Physical Therapy located in Erie County NY, Astoria, Valley Stream, Wantagh, and Lindenhurst, you will always get the “one-on-one” care that has made our practice the first choice for so many. We strive for your complete satisfaction and are focused on your needs as an individual always. That is why our motto at Advance Physical Therapy is: “fast, effective treatment-one patient at a time.”
Some of our additional services include:
- Balance and Dizziness Programs
- Specialty Programs for: Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Spinal Cord and Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Wellness and “Aftercare” Programs
- Functional Capacity Evaluations
- Work Hardening
- Ergonomic Assessments
- Geriatric Conditioning and Strength Programs
- Pediatric Rehabilitation
What Can Physical Therapy Do For You?
If you have suffered an injury, or want to increase your strength, mobility or flexibility, contact our physical therapy Erie County NY at Advance Physical Therapy today.
What is Physical Therapy?
Physical therapy is the rehabilitation and treatment of injuries, diseases, and other conditions through physical engagement rather than surgical and/or drug treatment. This medical practice is carried out with the use of massage therapy, weight training, and other physical activities that will overtime heal any ailments that you may be enduring. Physical therapy is widely effective due to the nature of one-on-one attention between the patient and the physical therapist. Our expert physical therapy Erie County NY offers hands-on care to our patients in need as we help to relieve their discomfort.
What is a Physical Therapist?
The main role of a physical therapist is promoting quality of life by planning a custom regimen for their patient’s specific needs, without the use of drugs or surgery. They also focus on educating their patients with ways to prevent future injuries and ensure long-term physical health. At our physical therapy Erie County NY, our staff’s attention to detail and compassion for our patients is what keeps them coming back.
How Physical Therapy Erie County NY Can Help You
If you are experiencing any degree of pain in any region of the body, physical therapy most likely can benefit you. Physical therapy is used all around the world to treat many different types of injuries/conditions and can be leveraged by people of all ages and backgrounds. The profession has really made strides into the sports world, having the ability to treat almost any sports-related injury if a surgical procedure is not needed. Rest is needed with many injuries, but it must be followed by physical engagement. It is not sensible to go from a resting period straight back into your normal activities. The body must be taught and re-strengthened to ensure future injuries are avoided and the present injury is healed. Here is a list of some things our physical therapy Erie County NY can heal:
- Back pain
- Shoulder pain
- Cystic fibrosis
- Cerebral palsy
- Post ACL surgery
- Carpal tunnel
- Parkinson’s disease
- Sprains, tears, ruptures
Due to the extensive value physical therapy brings to all sorts of injuries and conditions, the benefits vary from patient to patient. Here is a shortlist of the many benefits physical therapy provides:
- Increased range of motion
- Pain relief
- Increased balance
- Stronger joints and muscles
- Knowledge of your body
- Surgery prevention
- Positive mobility
- Increased confidence
Advance Physical Therapy Erie County NY
Physical therapy Erie County NY at Advance Physical Therapy has over 20 years of experience serving the state of New York. The physical therapists at Advance Physical Therapy are committed to personalizing a rehabilitation plan that will yield each patient a fast and effective healing process. “Fast, effective treatment-one patient at a time,” is their motto. A motto is something companies embody into their workplace and is a code they live by. If you make the bright choice of booking an appointment at Advance Physical Therapy, rest assure you are going to be in good hands.
Other Services: Recovering From A Shoulder Labrum Tear
Have you recently been experiencing shoulder problems or have experienced a blunt force in this area? Has it become painful or difficult to move? There is a chance you have suffered from a shoulder labrum tear. At Advance Physical Therapy, we specialize in the recovery process for these types of injuries. If you are seeking a physical therapist Erie County NY, we can help correct the issue and get you back to feeling pain-free.
Cause of Labrum Tears:
When looking at labrum tears in the shoulder, there are usually three primary culprits that lead to this injury. If you suspect any of the below three reasons have caused you to experience a tear, a visit with a physical therapist Erie County NY may be in your future:
- Overuse: This usually occurs when the same motion is repeated over and over again, often as the result of actions such as pitching a baseball. The repeated overhead motion of your shoulder can lead to a tear occurring.
- Injury: Blunt force placed on the shoulder can also lead to the possibility of a tear occurring. Actions such as being involved in a car accident or experiencing a fall and landing on your shoulder are two examples of this occurrence.
- Wear And Tear: Shoulder labrum tears become more common in people over the age of forty. Think of your labrum like the tires on your car. After extended periods of use, they begin to get worn down and are more susceptible to damage. The same is true of your labrum which is used for several daily functions.
Shoulder Labrum Tear Symptoms:
At times, it can be arduous to differentiate everyday pain and discomfort from a serious medical condition. Our team wants to help you make this distinction when it comes to your shoulder. Encountering the following symptoms could indicate that a shoulder labrum tear may have occurred:
- Loss of strength and range of motion.
- A catching, locking, popping, or grinding feeling in the shoulder.
- Feelings of shoulder instability.
How Is This Treated?
A tear such as this one is not something that will fix itself on its own with just rest. Depending on the severity of the tear, different methods of treatment will prove most effective. In less severe cases, a visit with a physical therapist Erie County NY, can be all that is necessary. By coming in and working with our specialists, you will be tasked with performing specific stretches and exercises aimed at strengthening the damaged area. Should therapy on its own may not be enough, the next course of action will likely be surgery. The necessary option will depend on the tear itself, as well as your physical activity levels. Even after undergoing surgery, you’ll still need to go through physical therapy to help regain the strength and range of motion that was lost.
Advance Physical Therapy Erie County NY
There is no need to live with shoulder pain if you can locate a physical therapist who can provide quality treatment. Even if you have suffered from a torn labrum, the team at Advance Physical Therapy can help you make a safe and speedy recovery. Don’t wait to contact us so you can schedule your first appointment for physical therapy Erie County NY.
At Home Exercises For Sciatica
Sciatica is back pain that stems from the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve starts from your lower back and branches through your hips down each leg. Sciatica commonly occurs when the nerve is compressed, and it can cause inflammation, pain, and often numbness. Sciatica will typically only affect one side of your body. Advance Physical Therapy Erie County NY has professionals that can help alleviate your pain, and improve your overall quality of life!
At-Home Physical Therapy Erie County NY Exercises
Sciatica is not only uncomfortable, but it’s also a frustrating condition to manage. Treatment usually involves non-surgical methods that you can use as needed, such as hot or cold treatment and pain medication. You can also do exercises at home to help relieve your pain. While you may feel it’s simply in your best interest to rest, you can potentially make the pain worse from inactivity. Without exercise, your back muscles and spinal structure can become deconditioned. Before beginning exercises for sciatica, you should see a professional at Advance Physical Therapy that will tailor a program to fit your needs. Here are some exercises you can do at home to help ease your pain:
- Knee to chest stretch – Lie on your back and place an object under your head to support it. Bend your knees and keep your feet hip-width apart. Then, bend one knee towards your chest and hold it with your hands. Repeat, and alternate your legs. Try to keep your neck and shoulders relaxed, and only stretch as far as you can. It should not feel uncomfortable.
- Modified cobra stretch – While lying face down with your body extended, place your hands on the mat or floor at chest level slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Keep your elbows bent, and gently press on the floor and raise your torso and head. Hold for a few seconds, then relax. You should feel this stretch in your hip flexors and abdominals.
- Seated Hip Stretch – While in a seated position, cross your right ankle over your left knee. Sit up straight. Lean forward with your back straight until you feel the stretch in your hip and right glute. You can press down, and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat this stretch a few times, and then do the same with the left leg.
- Standing hamstring stretch – Stand up straight and raise one leg on to a step. With the leg straight and pointing up, lean forward with your back straight. Hold this position for a few seconds, and repeat.
Completing these exercises daily can help stretch out your back and legs, and relieve your sciatica pain.
Advance Physical Therapy Erie County NY
While sciatica can be painful, the professionals at Advance Physical Therapy Erie County NY can help you relieve some of your symptoms. We can curate a treatment plan to fit your needs, and get you back on track! Contact us today to make your appointment!
Balance Disorder Exercises
Have you or a loved one recently been faced with vestibular issues such as vertigo, dizziness, or general disorientation? At any age, balance issues such as these can have a deteriorating effect on your quality of life. At Advance Physical Therapy in Erie County NY, our team can help treat these balance related issues. We’ll teach patients dealing with balance disorders a variety of exercises that can better their condition and treat their symptoms. For more information about these exercises, please get in touch with our staff by visiting our appointment page. Please see below for some recommended balance disorder exercise that can easily be performed from home:
- Lie a piece of string on the floor in a straight line.
- Without drifting off to one side, walk across the line.
- To help keep your balance and stay in a straight line, hold your arms out wide.
- Walk at least 15 steps every time you perform this exercise.
- Start in a standing position.
- Balancing on one leg, slowly lift the opposite foot off the ground.
- Once you’re completely balanced on one leg (use a chair or the wall for support if needed), lift the opposite knee to your chest.
- Hold this pose for 15 seconds before returning to the starting position.
- Perform at least three sets of this exercise on each side.
Bean Bag Balance
- Place a bean bag or item with a similar consistency on either your head or shoulder.
- Begin to walk in a straight line, focusing on your posture and balance to keep the bean bag in place.
- Once you’ve mastered walking in a straight line, try moving backward, side to side, or in a zigzag motion.
Single-Leg Cross Body Punches
- While balancing your weight on one foot, come to a quarter squat position.
- Make a fist with both hands, and begin to punch across your body.
- Once you have thrown 20 punches, repeat the exercise while balancing on the other leg.
- Perform three sets on each leg.
- For added difficulty, hold a pair of dumbbells in your hands while performing this exercise.
Advance Physical Therapy in Erie County NY
At Advance Physical Therapy, we do not want patients to have to live with the stresses that are caused by balance disorders. If you or a loved one has been dealing with these complications, your condition can be vastly improved by performing certain exercises. For more information or to make an appointment, be sure to contact our team today! Our state-of-the-art balance treatment centers located in Astoria, Buffalo, Lindenhurst, Valley Stream, & Wantagh are ready to serve you!