Physical Therapy in Astoria, NY
Vertigo is a feeling of rocking, rotating, or even having a loss of balance. It is a sensation similar to looking down from a significant height. If you continue to move, symptoms can worsen and cause you to experience lightheadedness, nausea, or vomiting. If not treated, vertigo can last for hours to even days. If you believe you could be suffering from vertigo, don’t hesitate to contact Advance Physical Therapy in Queens to get the help you deserve.
Symptoms of vertigo include:
- Feeling of spinning
- Tilting or swaying
- Pulled in one direction
- Feeling nauseated or vomiting
- Abnormal eye movements
- Hearing loss or ringing in the ears
Causes of vertigo include:
There are two different types of vertigo, peripheral and central vertigo.
- Peripheral vertigo is often caused by a problem with the balance mechanisms within the inner ear. The most common causes of this type of vertigo include:
- Head injury
- Vestibular Neuronitis
- Meniere’s disease
- Central vertigo is caused by issues within different parts of the brain such as the cerebellum or the brain stem. Common causes of central vertigo include:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Acoustic neuroma
- Brain tumor
Treatments For Vertigo:
- Head Position Maneuvers: Maneuvering the position of the head in order to resolve dizziness. Each position is held for about 30 seconds after any symptoms or abnormal eye movements stop. This procedure is usually effective after one or two treatments.
- Balance Therapy: Learning specific exercises to help make the balance system less sensitive to motion. This therapy is used for vertigo caused by inner ear conditions.
How Physical Therapy in Queens Can Help You:
Vertigo can affect individuals at any age. With the treatment of physical therapy, symptoms can lessen and relieve your discomfort and lack of day to day function. At Advance Physical Therapy in Queens, we can help you gain a faster and more effective recovery for your vertigo. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment with one of our physical therapists, contact us today!