Have you ever stopped to think about the importance of the health of your feet and ankles? With so many steps to be taken during each day, even the smallest issue can make moving around a nightmare. At Advance Physical Therapy, our goal is to keep our patients on their feet. That is why our team would like to share a variety of mobilization exercises for the foot and ankle you can perform to keep these areas healthy and protected.
- Start by sitting on the ground with your legs straight out in front of you.
- Use a rolled-up towel or foam roller to prop one of your ankles off of the ground.
- Slowly begin to move the lifted ankle in a circular motion.
- Rotate it ten times clockwise, and then ten times counterclockwise.
- Once complete, perform the same exercise on the other ankle.
Standing Heel Lifts
- Stand up straight with your feet shoulder-width apart to start this exercise.
- Standing near a wall or chair for support and balance (if necessary), slowly lift your heels off the ground.
- Keep raising your heels until you are standing on your tip-toes.
- Hold this position for a few seconds before slowly returning your heels to the ground.
- Perform three sets of 10 repetitions for the best results.
- Keeping your feet shoulder-width apart, stand straight up.
- Make sure you are near a wall to help with your balance.
- Hold your arms straight out towards your sides and lift one leg.
- Try to stay balanced for at least 60 seconds before bringing your leg back down.
- Repeat this exercise on the other leg.
- For the most results, perform 2 to 3 repetitions on each leg every day.
Schedule An Appointment For Care
Sometimes, even after making use of at-home exercises, ankle and foot issues can still take place. Our team at Advance Physical Therapy knows this, which is why we offer sessions of physical therapy as one of our services. In addition to the previously listed ones, our physical therapists can teach you how to perform exercises to correct any problems you are facing. To schedule your much-needed appointment, contact our team today.