Have you noticed frequent, aching pain in your hip? Are you having difficulty walking? You might be dealing with a pulled glute muscle. The glute muscles help stabilize you as you move, so an injury can be debilitating and interfere with your mobility. At Advance Physical Therapy, our therapists are well-versed in treating glute strains and will determine the most effective treatment plan to help your injured glute back to health. Continue reading to learn more!
Treating A Pulled Glute Muscle
The gluteus maximus is the largest muscle in your body that helps you power up stairs and hills and supports the pelvis and hips. Glute injuries are often caused by trauma from falls or direct blows, overuse, or as a result of athletic activities. A glute strain is a stretch or partial tear of the muscle that can cause immense pain and impact your mobility. Treatment for a pulled glute muscle will depend on the type and severity of the injury. After the initial use of ice and resting, it’s crucial to rehabilitate the injured muscle.
Physical therapy is vital to accomplish this goal. Early rehabilitation exercises will involve movements involving the muscle before moving on to resisted movements. Some of the treatment techniques our team at Advance Physical Therapy may use include:
- Therapeutic Exercises – Stretching and strengthening exercises may be recommended to enhance your flexibility and restore range of motion to the injured area.
- Lifestyle Modifications – Our team can educate you on proper body mechanics and sleeping positions to avoid overstretching the muscle and exacerbating your pain.
- Assistive Devices – We may recommend crutches or other walking devices to temporarily relieve pain as you heal.
- Sports-Specific Exercises – If you are an athlete, our team can show you targeted exercises to help prevent re-injury of the glute muscle.
- Massage Therapy – Hands-on therapy techniques can help reduce muscle tightness and improve flexibility.
The primary objective of treating a pulled glute muscle is restoring normal function. Our team will perform a comprehensive evaluation to determine the appropriate course of action to get you back to the activities you love.
Leaving your pulled glute muscle untreated can result in muscle weakness, gait abnormalities, and lasting pain. At Advance Physical Therapy, our experienced team will utilize innovative modalities to target your pain and treat your injury head-on. Be sure to contact us today to schedule an appointment!