If you have difficulty standing up on your own or moving your legs well, you may be experiencing leg weakness. Your legs can weaken from many causes, but physical therapy offers an option to strengthen your legs’ weak muscles. If you or someone you know is looking for physical therapy Erie County, NY, can trust, then Advance Physical Therapy is here for you.
Causes of Leg Weakness
Knowing the causes of leg weakness can prepare you for a diagnosis at a doctor’s office. If you’re experiencing leg weakness, you may be wondering how many conditions can cause your affliction. Some causes of leg weakness are as follows:
- Spinal cord injury
- Herniated disc
- Leg bone fractures
- Sprains or strains in leg muscle
- Muscle pulls or tears
- Multiple Sclerosis
Because an unmentioned condition could also be causing your leg weakness, it is always best to go to a physical therapist for a diagnosis. They will be able to determine the cause of your leg weakness and work with you to design a treatment program that fits your lifestyle.
Advance PT offers physical therapy in Erie County, NY, for leg weakness, and our therapists are experts in finding the right treatment for you!
Physical Therapy for Leg Weakness
A physical therapist’s job is to determine your best treatment plan based on your injury or illness and lifestyle. If you are considering an appointment with a therapist, you may be wondering, “What treatments could work for me?” Here are some treatments that your therapist may use for leg weakness:
- Heat Therapy: This form of therapy involves applying heat to the site of an injury. Therapists often use heat to promote healing and increase blood flow in muscle strains, sprains, and other injuries.
- Ice Therapy: This form of therapy involves applying ice to the site of an injury. Ice reduces swelling in the injury area and subsequently reduces pain.
- Immobilization: This form of therapy requires putting the leg in a cast to reduce its movement. Therapists often use immobilization treatment for broken bones.
- Strength Training: Therapists may give you a series of exercises to strengthen your leg muscles. Activities such as lunges and squats, can treat many causes of leg weakness, such as muscle injuries and multiple sclerosis.
- Surgery: Surgery is the last resort for many therapists, but in some cases, it may be necessary if the condition or injury is severe enough. For example, a complete muscle tear will require surgery.
Advance Physical Therapy offers many of these treatments, and our therapists will help you regain strength in your leg. We’ll get you back on your feet again!
Physical Therapy Erie County, NY
Leg weakness interferes with many daily activities, and no matter the cause, it can be debilitating. However, you do not need to suffer through this problem any longer! For physical therapy Erie County, NY can depend upon, then Advance Physical Therapy is here for you. Please visit our website to learn more about us. Contact us today to learn more!