Tennis elbow is a condition caused by overworked muscles in the arm, forearm, and hand which results in elbow pain. Tennis elbow involves the area where the muscles and tendons of the forearm attach to the outside bone (called lateral epicondyle) of the elbow. Movements that require gripping, twisting, or carrying objects with your hand can be the primary stimulant for creating discomfort in the elbow. These movements use muscles that all attach to the lateral epicondyle, thus causing certain motions of your hand and wrist to create pain.
Advance Physical Therapy has years of experience in treating tennis elbow and can provide you personalized care to help you have a successful recovery. However, the key factor to recovering successfully is letting your tendons rest allowing the small tears in tendons to heal. Other treatment options are:
- Cryotherapy, which is proven to be one of the best elbow treatments.
- Counterforce Brace, worn around your forearm just below the elbow.
- Changing movements can help improve your tennis form by relieving stress on the affected tendons.
- Turmeric spice can help reduce inflammation but isn’t as mainstream as other treatment options.
- Cortisone Injections, which is a type of medication that contains man-made versions of hormone cortisol particularly to help with painful musculoskeletal problems.
- Physiotherapy, allowing a variety of different methods and techniques to be introduced by professionals.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs(NSAIDs), referring to medications such as Aspirin, Ibuprofen, and Naproxen.
While treatment for tennis elbow is usually highly effective, surgery is possible if none of the above options work for you. Surgery is the last treatment option and will be considered if there is no improvement after six months to two years.
Physical therapy is essential when treating tennis elbow. Depending on severity, your physical therapist will recommend certain strategies and approaches you can take to help guide you towards having a successful recovery.
If you would like more information on tennis elbow treatment in Astoria, Wantagh, Lindenhurst, or Valley Stream, contact Advance PT today! We guarantee that after each visit you will leave feeling much better and happier. Don’t wait, and give us a call today!