A pressure ulcer, also known as a bedsore, is a skin injury that occurs in about 40,000 people every year. Pressure ulcers usually occur when people are ill, or not able to change their position in a bed or a chair for an extended amount of time. If you are looking to learn more about pressure ulcers, Advance Physical Therapy in Lindenhurst can help guide you on what you need to know.
Pressure ulcers are caused by pressure that blocks the flow of blood to the skin. Other reasons pressure ulcers may occur are:
- Laying in the same position for an extensive period of time
- Too much pressure on the same area of your skin
- “Shearing” forces that cause the skin to bunch up in one area
Many people with pressure ulcers might not know they have one.
- Changes in skin color or texture
- Tender areas
- An area of skin that feels cooler or warmer to touch as opposed to other areas
At Advance Physical Therapy in Lindenhurst, we can guarantee that with our help and guidance you will start to see and feel results in no time! The evaluation of a physical therapist is recommended in order to find the right treatment that suits you. Treatments may include:
- Caregiver training
- Strengthening exercises
- Wound care
- Improvements to the seat or bed
To reduce your risk of a pressure ulcer you can:
- Change positions frequently (less pressure on your skin)
- Keep skin clean and dry
- Use pillows
Advance Physical Therapy in Lindenhurst only wants the best for their patients. By attending physical therapy sessions and receiving help from professionals, we guarantee that you will be on your way towards a successful recovery. If you live near Lindenhurst and are suffering from a pressure ulcer, call us today and book your appointment!